Saturday 25 October 2008

Paris vs Stockholm - episode II (traffic and public transport)

So, let's continue. And as I indicated in the previous note; size does matter.

Traffic

Essingeleden, Friday around 2pm; “There are never so few cars on the periph ("Boulevard periphérique", ring road) , even 3am in the morning”. Or the traffic in the city centre, so silent, so smooth, hardly no horn at all. Not even an emergency warning light… I can’t remember if I’ve ever used the warning light in Sweden. The horn? I remember once when a kid was playing close to the road.

And I guess it’s an aside but in Stockholm people may turn their heads to see the emergency service vehicle. Or at least put the hands over the ears to protect them.

Public transport
Stockholm has exemplary proper trains, clean seats, and; ditto travellers. Is it a true picture, or do those who seek protection and heat in the metro stations in Paris go elsewhere in Stockholm? What does it say that I don’t even know?

But back to the transports. Whereas in Paris I get a feeling of disappointment every time I see “Prochain train: 4 min” or more, people in Stockholm are waiting patiently during up to 10 mins. This afternoon there was a cancelled train in my direction and the loud speakers announced “the train 17.26 from Kungsträdgården, 17.28 T-centralen, is cancelled due to damage”. Hey, there is an actual departure time?! And it is respected? The same comment in Paris would be “the traffic is disturbed due to an incident”.

My dear friend who recently moved to Stockholm from Paris said “I miss about 10-15 metro lines!” and I can agree. I heard some staff at the SL center talking about a German woman who was surprised she couldn’t take the metro from Sergels Torg to Cityterminalen. I can understand her astonishment; I’d say that distance is the average between two stations in Paris. No wonder the Swedes are relatively fit.

The first evening I got another proof; when arriving to the bus stop it was three minutes after the indicated departure. Well, only three minutes, and I didn’t see the bus on my way there. Hey, I’m in Sweden, buses arrive on time. Though, being in Sweden also means the next bus is in 30 minutes…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"those who seek protection and heat in the metro stations in Paris go elsewhere in Stockholm?"
I´ve just read a book by Roslund-Hellström called "Flickan under gatan" (The girl under the street). That book givres a hint on where you can find those who seek protection in Stockholm. It´s a fiction based on more facts than you actually would like.