Thursday 19 June 2008

Linguistical issues

More than once I've been debating whether I should start writing my blog in English. I've considered both the idea of completely switching language, or starting a parallel one; a baby sister with at least selected notes from the "real one". This latter idea was however quite soon rejected, as I sometimes struggle to update my current blog with decent delays. Remains the solution of creating some kind of script that automatically translates the site using bablefish or a similar tool. Could be quite fun, maybe even result in CERN-ish translations such as "lawyer's salad" for "salade d'avocats".

One drawback with writing in another language than Swedish is that hardly any attempt to play with the language may fatally fail. Or general reflections that arouse from language issues. Yesterday I got my new contact lenses and as my job provides me with a couple of useful connections I'll get the opportunity to fit them by an ophthalmologist. The Swedish sentence "jag ska fitta in mina nya linser hos ögonläkaren" crossed my mind and I realized I've been away for a while. At least I hope that such a phrase would not slip out of my mouth in Sweden, I dare say that it would be met with a certain suspiciousness.

Next questions, do I master any other language good enough for a blog? No worries, I have no intentions to try in French. Nor German; last Saturday's vain attempts to conduct a serious discussion about French formalities concerning addresses and registration ruthlessly reminded me about my shortcomings. What more to suggest? Latin? Volvo ergo sum, very useful indeed. No, the only real choice would be English, which still leaves a lot more to wish for...

Once I considered to conduct my studies in language and literature, and when entering high school I hesitated between science and languages. Finally I chose the former alternative with extra language courses; I presumed it would be more useful as it would give something to say (science) in addition to a way to say it (language). A way of reasoning for a teenager, I guess. Any language is more than a complete science in itself (for example I'd be happy to take French courses again). But I have never regret the choice and I still claim that mathematics is the most universal language that has ever existed. And with far more rules than exceptions…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But it is hard to get pi into a comment box of a blog. :)

I wish I had your knowledge of languages. My English is bad enough I speak my own language Irish terribly and as for my attempts to learn French lets not go there. :)

Anonymous said...

Har fått tips om översättningprogram efter en kurs jag gått. Ska testa den på dina texter. Annars trevligt att läsa och bra för min engelska. Hur känns det att vara svensk idag? Kanske varit bättre om inte Ryssland slagit ut Sverige. Men eloge till dem, ryssarna gjorde det med den äran.

Anonymous said...

PS.
Håller med om att matematik är det mest fantastiska språket. Kan förstås av alla modersmål till trots.
DS

Anonymous said...

Ja, det är svårt att välja språk =) Skönt att vi har Yi där man kan både läsa mycket matematik och språk

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of blogging in Esperanto? Take a look at www.esperanto.net

erika said...

mi havis lerni min...but apparently I never really made the effort. Though it's never to late I guess. And I admit I was thinking of esperanto when writing the last note, remembering a book that I borrowed from the local library a summer many years ago.

Anyway, glad to see new readers of the blog:-)